Monday, January 16, 2012

Aroma 31

Aroma 31 opened last October, after the comically short-lived Eco Table in that same location mysteriously closed. Fast forward a few months, and the former Eco Table décor and menu had transformed into what is now Aroma 31. Perplexed by this seemingly sudden change, especially considering how Eco Table had been open not even a full month before closing, I was able to get an answer from our server at Aroma 31 on my visit. Story has it that two friends and business partners had the idea to open a restaurant together, and thus, Eco Table was born. However, shortly after opening this venture together, the partners had different ideas about running the place, and butt heads. This lead to them closing the restaurant, while one partner took over the space to open his own restaurant, Aroma 31.

Aroma 31 features floor to ceiling windows that are opened in the warmer months. The interior has a warm feel to it, with exposed brick walls, and dimly lit hanging ceiling lamps. Cool colors in warm hues reign here, with a palette of greens and blues filling the space. It is a simple, cozy space, yet large enough so you don’t feel cramped.  Walking past Aroma 31 quite frequently, it does not seem to get as crowded as other hotspots in that immediate area, making it a nice, quiet place to enjoy a meal.

Aroma 31 from the outside
Aroma 31 from the inside
Visiting Aroma 31 on a Friday night with a group of friends, we were brought complimentary pita and hummus to start our meal. The hummus was freshly made and topped with spices and olive oil, which was a nice alternative to the usual bread and butter most restaurants fall back on.  Aside from the permanent menu offerings, Aroma 31 also offers a few specials, found on the chalkboards outside or inside the restaurant.  Our group started with some drinks, namely the White Sangria and the Organic Nut Brown Ale. The sangria was refreshing, but tasted a bit watered down, while the Nut Brown Ale was just okay for its $7 price point. For our meals, my friends and I settled on the “Seven Hour” Slow Braised Lamb Osso Buco, the Fresh Mint Tagliatelli, two of the Aroma Burgers, and a side of Sautéed Spinach.

hummus + pita
The “Seven Hour” Slow Braised Lamb Osso Buco is described as having a dates and raisin demi glace and served with vegetable couscous.  My friend enjoyed her dish, saying the lamb was tender and falling off the bone. The demi glace left something to be desired, as she wasn’t sure if she tasted the dates and raisin flavors. The vegetable couscous was good as well, but did not have a whole lot of vegetables in it.

"Seven Hour" Slow Braised Lamb Osso Buco
The burgers at Aroma 31 consist of 8 ounces of the Chef’s Blend of Flank Steak, Short Ribs, Sirloin, and Beef Flatiron, served on a brioche bun and house fries. The Aroma Burger comes topped with Feta cheese, crispy onions, and tzatziki sauce, and got mixed reviews in our group. One of my friends enjoyed the burger, which came truly “medium” as requested, with the fried onions piled on top of it.  He thought the brioche bun could have been fresher, but the price of $10 and accompanying crispy fries made up for it. The side of Sautéed Spinach was really tasty and fresh, and loved by us all. My other friend did not love the Aroma Burger, feeling that the Feta and the tzatziki flavors, along with the beef mix, did not complement each other as expected.

Aroma Burger
My dish was the Fresh Mint Tagliatelli, featuring a slow roasted lamb shoulder ragu. Ordering this dish was a bit of a risk for me as one, I do not like mint in my food or beverages, only in my gum, and two, I am very picky eating lamb and only like it prepared certain ways. I love ragu with ribbony pasta so this dish piqued my interest. I was also debating getting the Butternut Squash Risotto, but trusted our server who told me to go with the tagliatelli. Lucky for me, the mint flavor in the dish was not overwhelming, and was quite subtle. The lamb ragu, though chunky, was extremely tender once you bit into it. Having the soft tagliatelli with the delicate and tender lamb made it an enjoyable dish.

Fresh Mint Tagliatelli
We looked at the dessert menu but nothing really captivated our interest, so we skipped a sweet nightcap.

Dinner at Aroma 31 was an enjoyable experience, especially since it is quiet and offers a cozy environment to catch up with friends or bring a date to. Although it is not the first place that pops into my mind when I think of restaurants to eat at, the food was good, and it is a place I would consider visiting again. 

7 comments:

  1. Nice write-up. Just looking at those fries makes me hungry. And good job uncovering the mystery of what happened to Eco Table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos always make the food look so good! I want to try one of everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read your review...
    At 22 yrs old what food experience do you have to be judging a restaurant, except your own taste. Have you traveled the world and have you worked in any restaurants to make any kind a judgement. Reading a couple of cookbooks and watching Rachel Ray and Iron Chef America won't cut it. Develope your palete work with a few good chefs then come back in ten yrs and just maybe you can critigue than. Just remember you are a child in the food world and opinions are like A..Holes everybody has one.

    Your friendly admirer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello anonymous,

      Too cowardly to leave a real name I see? In response to your post, I have the following to say. This is my food blog, which, as all the other blogs out there and what the true essence of a blog is, highlights my opinions on restaurants I visit in Astoria. It is your decision to visit my site and read my critiques (that would be spelled c-r-i-t-i-q-u-e, not critigue).

      I actually have traveled extensively around the world, and have lived in a variety of different countries and experienced a myriad of unique cultures outside of the United States. It is rude of you to assume I have not. I have a lot more experience traveling than the average woman my age, and I am proud of this. I have not worked in any restaurants, but I fail to find the correlation between working in a restaurant and being able to judge the quality of food and overall experience of a restaurant. I can see how working in a restaurant will make you more appreciative of the chefs and wait staff and all the back ends of the industry, but that should not really be a deciding factor in taste and what the general public experiences in a restaurant. When I go to a restaurant and plan to blog about my experience, I am doing so for the general person who reads my blog. I judge the facets that an average person would look at, consider, and appreciate when they go out to eat. In addition, although I haven’t worked in a restaurant, I’ve been an avid fan of Anthony Bourdain who chronicles a lot about his beginnings in the restaurant industry in Kitchen Confidential. And I actually don’t watch Rachel Ray or Iron Chef America, and I wouldn’t judge anyone if they did.

      As for my palete, I am proud of it, and no one is going to tell me it is not developed. I do not need to work with chefs as I am not planning on becoming a professional chef anytime soon. Like I referenced earlier, a blog is a collection of opinions, and Michelle Eats Astoria just happen to be mine. If you don’t like what you read, then don’t read them.

      Oh, and by the way, I am not 22, I am 23 :)

      Sincerely,
      Michelle

      Delete
  4. I am personally offended, as I too am very young. At 35 I feel like I have definitely developed my palate enough to have a valuable opinion on food, and I find these blog posts helpful, charming and descriptive. I have lived in several countries, including Spain--a gastronomic epicenter--where I moved when I was 23. So I too, by that age, had experienced some of the best food and wine in the world, and had travelled to over 15 countries. Age is nothing but a number. What counts are taste and experience, and the ability to communicate in a way that is helpful to the average reader. Someone who has so much anger and dullness in their life that they need to hate on a blog without having all the facts and make unfounded assumptions is, at any age, an immature and judgemental person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place sounds very nice! Great description, you give very vivid details and that is much appreciated. From what I can tell, it seems like the meal, the service and the experience was all well received. I read through your whole story trying to find a flaw, and besides personally tastes, I couldn't really find one. I would have thought they'd deserve a higher star rating than the one you gave on Yelp based on this story, but hey! Not my profile.

    I'm excited to see which places you did enjoy enough to give four or five stars. They must be really great, since you seem to be kind of picky... NOT JUDGING, just observing.

    Thanks for the review, I look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greeting. I am the owner of Aroma31, and have sinced changed my chef and menu. I would love for you to come back and find a single flaw with anything lol. We have perfected all our food to the tea..... I welcome you and would love for you to come back and visit Aroma

    ReplyDelete