Sunday, November 13, 2011

Doral Donut Shop

Doral Donut Shop is not so much a place to buy doughnuts as it is a diner that offers simple and cheap food quickly. While Doral does offer a selection of doughnuts and pastries as seen through the window, the selection is feeble and in my times there, I have not seen them ordered by anyone. More often than not, patrons come here for the inexpensive breakfast and lunch food (club sandwiches, burgers) that you can find at any diner, but for a fraction of the price. Their breakfast special involves two eggs, home fries, toast, coffee, and juice for $3.75. Other breakfast items are similarly priced, with a decent amount of food for what you are paying. One can get the same quality and quantity of food at any other diner for easily double the cost.

Doral Donut Shop is small – there are about eight tables seating four, and counter seats lining the bar. On weekends, the shop is always at capacity, with quick turnaround for those wishing to eat-in. The waitresses are friendly, and consist of middle-aged European women in matching blue aprons, who seem to have been at Doral since its opening. The place has a no-frills, old school diner vibe; I appreciate this, as Doral does not try and seem like something it is not.  Although it is surrounded on Broadway by a multitude of upscale brunch houses, Doral stays true to its roots – good food, at a great price.

Doral from the outside
Doral from the inside
breakfast/lunch counter
open kitchen area
On a recent visit, I had a breakfast of two eggs, sunny side up, with ham, toast, home fries, and coffee. The eggs at Doral are always done as you please, and come out delicious. The ham was underneath my eggs, and slightly fried. The toast was perfectly browned and buttered, and the coffee was fresh and tasty. I have always enjoyed my breakfasts at Doral, but if I had to pinpoint anything that needs work, it would be the home fries. Though plentiful and mixed in with bits of peppers and onions, the potatoes lack some seasonings, and can be bland at times.

my breakfast
My friend ordered the Western omelette, which has ham, peppers, and onions mixed into the eggs. The omelette was flavorful and generously sized, and came with toast, home fries, and coffee and juice as well. All the breakfast items at Doral come included with the aforementioned sides, which still amazes me, as most diners charge extra for coffee and juice.

western omelette
Doral Donut Shop has been in Astoria for a long time, and is reminiscent of old-time family diners. It is full of locals, many of who come in with their families each weekend. In an ever-growing and gentrified part of Astoria, it is nice to still have a low-key place where you can go in, get inexpensively great food, and feel like you are far away from the trendy and crowded brunch places.

2 comments:

  1. I used to live right around the corner from this place. I don't think there's a cheaper breakfast deal in town. Well, maybe the $1 tamale vendor on weekends..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually the mayor of Doral Donuts. Well, the mayor on Foursquare. But whatever, a mayor is a mayor! SO many perks to being the mayor of that place. When I walk in I get a standing ovation from workers and patrons, so at that point I of course have to walk around shaking hands and patting kids on the top of their heads. I then kindly ask a family to get up from the table I prefer to sit at. They listen. Since I'm the mayor. I then proudly ask the wait staff for my usual. Bacon egg and cheese on a roll and a tropical V8. Let me let you in on something. Doral puts butter on the roll of their bacon egg n cheese sandwiches. And it is freaking delicious. That is why its my favorite breakfast place, and that is why I am the Mayor. And because it is cheap. Ok, mostly because it is cheap.

    ReplyDelete