Monday, November 7, 2011

Mama Yogurt

Pinkberry started the trend, followed by Red Mango, 16 Handles, Berrywild, and a plethora of other low-fat frozen yogurt shops reeling in their customers by the allure of adding your own wild assortment of toppings, ranging from healthy fruits to not-so-lean chunks of chocolate. Having lived mere blocks from the Upper East Side’s (and NYC’s first) Pinkberry, I had the luxury of visiting the yogurt shop each time a craving struck. I witnessed Pinkberry’s transformation from two flavors - Original and Green Tea - to multiple seasonal flavors, with the addition of new and less healthy toppings along the way (cheesecake bites anyone?) Upon moving to Astoria, I had come to terms with the fact that I’d only get to indulge in this special treat on special visits. That is, until I tried Mama Yogurt. 

I had seen Mama being built prior to its opening on 30th Avenue. I immediately dismissed it as another Pinkberry knock-off, with the design similar to Pinkberry’s Japanese inspired spherical hanging lights and bulbous colorful chairs. I had been loyal to Pinkberry while living in Manhattan – partially because all their flavors stayed true to the tart taste, and this simplicity appealed to me (and my lactose intolerance).  But, for lack of anything similar in the area, I agreed to go in once, to see how much Mama had managed to copy the tried and true Pinkberry model.

Mama from the outside
Mama's interior
Mama Yogurt is set up more like 16 Handles than Pinkberry – there are a whole lot of flavors you can choose from, and you serve yourself, choosing how much of what flavors you want. There is also a toppings bar where you add your toppings, choosing from fruits, dried toppings, and liquid toppings, a la Pinkberry. Then you weigh your concoction and enjoy. I was happy to discover Mama did serve a tart yogurt option, called Euro Tart,that matched up pretty well to Pinkberry’s tart Original. They had fresh fruit toppings, and, most importantly, mochi. Upon seeing and tasting these favorites, I must say, Mama is a pretty solid (and cheaper) alternative to Pinkberry. At $0.49 per pound, Mama’s yogurt is cheaper than the competitor’s, while offering the same standards of exotic flavors, fresh and varied toppings, and the cleanliness and décor of a chic yogurt parlor. Although my stomach and I are fans of the Euro Tart, I appreciate the flavors that Mama offers, such as Cookies and Cream, Red Velvet Cake, Mango, Peanut Butter, and Coffee (many of which are low or non-fat).  Seasonal flavors are rotated as well, such as Apple Pie. They always have fresh fruit offerings, and many other toppings such as sugar cone bits, yogurt chips, gummy bears, and boba. The place is always clean and well-maintained, which makes it a pleasurable visit every time.

frozen yogurt flavors
toppings bar one
toppings bar two
assortment of flavors + toppings
cake batter + cheesecake yogurt w. toppings
Mama seems to be doing well in the neighborhood – there is always a steady stream of people coming and going. The real test will be to see how Mama stands up to the competition – 16 Handles is slated to open shop a few blocks up, on the same avenue. As with the first mover advantage loyalty that Pinkberry has amassed, I believe as long as Mama keeps up the quality, they will withstand the competition.

3 comments:

  1. Mama Yogurt, or "Yo Mama" as we kids call it in the streets, is the perfect place to go after any(and every)meal. The low/non fat froyo (another street term) is a welcomed healthy alternative to the shakes I would get from Coldstone and Baskin Robbins. Now, when I say 'shakes' I mean I used to actually shake from all the milkshakes I would have LOL. Anyway, back to Mama. The thing I like most about Mama is the freedom to do as you please. If you like Peanut Butter and Mango covered in Caramel, you can do that. If you like Maple Donut, Pineapple, Red Velvet Cake, and Pomegranate with crushed Oreo and Almonds on top, you can do that. Their tag line should be 'Have it your way, the yogurt.' Mama has nothing to worry about with 16 Handles opening a few blocks away. I mean, that name just tells people you can buy up to 16 different kinds of handles, not yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ECOL: Or that you will get 16 types of Love Handles from all the toppings! These photos are really making me salivate. As a wise (albeit belligerent) person recently said...Christmas is coming, and Mama needs some Yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your visuals! Makes everything look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete